Chopasni Senior Sec. School, Jodhpur
 
 
Brief History of Chopasni, Jodhpur, Rajasthan (India)
 
 
1875
 
 
In 1875, Maharaj Pratap Singh Ji, Jodhpur at the age of 30 years was appointed Musahib Aala (Prime Minister of Jodhpur state.) Same year Mayo College, Ajmer was opened for the education of Chiefs and Nobles in Rajputana (now Rajasthan State). Inspired by that example Maharaj Pratap Singh Ji started a small school at Jodhpur for the wards of Thakurs.
 
1876
 
 
In 1876, an additional school named as "Nobles School" was further started, and The Thakurs school merged in it.
 
1877
 
 
In 1877, the Nobles School was reorganized under the name of Powlett Nobles School, so named after Col. Powlett, Political Resident Agent for Western Rajputana with H.Q. at Jodhpur.
 
1896
 
 

In 1896, Maharaj Sir Pratap Singh Ji, as he was then styled, founded a school at Mandore for Rajput Boys of poor agriculture classes, who were fed, clothed and educated at State expenses.
Same year Lord Elgin II, Viceroy and Governor General of India visited Jodhpur. Accompanied by Lady Elgin he drove in an open Jodhpur State Bagghi to the Mandore Garden & back. There, he inaugurated the Elgin Rajput School on 26/11/1896, named after Lord Elgin.

 
1899
 
 
In 1899 the Elgin Rajput School was amalgamated with Nobles School. Later the Schools were again separated and continued with varying fortunes until Sir Pratap returned to Jodhpur.
 
1911
 
 
In 1902, Sir Pratap acceded to the throne of Idar State in Gujarat where he stayed till 1911. In 1911 His Highness Maharaja Sardar Singh Ji expired. His Highness Maharaja Pratap Singh Ji of Idar quitted Idar State in favour of his stepson Rajkumar Daulat Singh Ji, and returned back to Jodhpur as Regent (1911-1915). On his return he found the two schools in very bad shape. He promptly reunited the two schools. He set on foot the scheme for developing the same on modern lines.
 
1912
 
 

In April, 1912, Mr. R. B. Van Wart, O.B.E., M.A., an Educationist from London was appointed as Principal. Less than a month later plans of a new building for the school were taken up on hand. Col. Windham chose the site at Chopasni Village. The land was provided by Goswami Ji of Chopasni Temple. Foundation stone was laid in November, 1912. Fifteen months later the present imposing building was completed at a cost to the Darbar of over Rs. 4 lacs.
The main school Building was designed by Mr. G. J. O'Brien. Mr. O'Brien's design was elaborated and the entire work was carried out by his successor Mr. C. Skelton. Mr. Baker and Mr. Lytens were the Architects.

 
1914
 
 

In 1914, in the presence of His Highness Maharaja Sumer Singh Ji, Maharaj Sir Pratap Singh Ji, Regent, Jodhpur State, and Lady Hardinge, the new elegant and imposing red sandstone building was built in Rajput Style- having a magnificent enormous facade, It was inaugurated by His Excellency Lord Hardinge of Penshurst, Viceroy and Governor General of India on 8/2/1914. A red sandstone inscription to this effect is available in the school porch which reads as under:
"This building was opened by Baron Hardinge of Penshurst, Viceroy and Governor General on 8th February, 1914."
The school was named as "Powlett Nobles Elgin Rajput School". A suitably designed and carved marble monogram displays this nomenclature at the top of the central front of the main school building facade. In its top "Ran Banka Rathore" is carved in Hindi.
Four imposing Boarding Houses were built. With the consent of Her Excellency Lady Hardinge, one of the Boarding House was named "Hardinge House". One was named as "Elgine House", one named as "Powlett House" and the last as "Pratap House".

 
1915
 
 

On 27th August, 1915, Sir E. G. Colvin, Agent to Governor General for Rajputana was the Chief Guest at the first prize distribution function of Chopasni School.

 
1918
 
 

In 1918, its Alumini Lance Dafedar Govind Singh, the student of Chopasni School, earned Victoria Cross, the highest British Gallantry award in World War I at the famous Cambari Battle (Epechy-France). The award was published in the London Gazette on 11/01/1918. Lance Dafedar Govind Singh was the first person from Rajputana to have won this, much coveted prestigious award.

 
1920
 
 

In 1920, Principal Van Wart after serving for 8 years proceeded on one year leave to England. Vice-Principal Mr. R. S. M. Harvey took up the charge. Mr. Harvey resigned in 1921. Major Ferguson was appointed on 23rd July 1921 as Vice-Principal, On his resignation later, Shri Narayan Das from Mayo College, Ajmer, was appointed as Vice-Principal in 1923-1924.

 
1927
 
 

In April, 1927 Principal Van Wart, after serving for 15 years retired. During these 15 years the school progressed very well. The students got not only good education but were well disciplined to become good citizens.

 
1929
 
 

In 1927, a New-Zelander – Mr. A. P. Cox, and Educationist of ICS (Indian Civil Services) Cadre joined as Principal of Rajput School Chopasni and Director of Education for the whole of Marwar-Jodhpur State. Like Principal Van Wart, Principal Cox, a bachelor, resided in the school campus itself.

 
1939
 
 

His Excellency Lord Goschen, Viceroy and Governor General of India visited the school. He was immensely happy and praised the standard achieved.
In March 1929, His Highness Maharaja Umed Singh Ji laid foundation stone for the Fifth Boarding House named "Umed House".

 
1947
 
 

On the eve of Independence being granted to India, Principal A. P. Cox left India in March 1947. This era of 20 years of Principal Cox's service is an era of golden age for Chopasni. There are no words to summarise his contribution in a brief note like this. There are thousands of old students and teachers at Chopasni-Jodhpur as also old students and teachers all over Marwar-Jodhpur who cherish the name of  Principal/Director Mr. A. P. Cox in their hearts with love, great respect and reverence.

 
1948
 
 

The last Governor General of India, Lord Louis Mountbatton of Burma accompanied by Lady Mountbatton visited the School. He inspected the Parade and P.T. also. He was very much impressed by the progress and presentation of the School. The school lived upto the expectations of Baron Hardinge of Penshurst.
In years to come a galaxy of very high profile dignitaries of Independent India visited the School likewise. Prominent among them are General K. M. Carriyappa, The First Indian Commander- in – Chief of the Armed Forces of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad, The First President of India, Shri Fakrudin Ali Ahmed, President of India, various Ministers of India, Chief Ministers and Ministers of the Rajasthan State and various Indian dignitaries.
The Alumini keeping with the excellent character, culture, tradition, patriotism, training and discipline set and acquired at Chopasni, fought fiercely for the country whenever occasion arose to defend the motherland. Risaldar Govind Singh was awarded victoria cross, Capt. Amar singh second class Indian Order of Merit, Lt. Col. Dungar Singh (Military Cross)  Its Alumini rigorously fought in various post-independence wars including Pakistani and China invasions and won various mentions in dispatches and various gallantry awards. Maj. Shaitan Singh was awarded Paramveer Chakra (The Highest Indian Gallantry Award), Maj. Mal Singh (Ashok Chakra), Lt. Col. Megh Singh, Rifle man Rawat Singh (Veer Chakra), Wing Commander Chandan Singh (Vishist Seva Medal, Veer Chakra And Mahaveer Chakra), Brig. Udai Singh (Mahaveer Chakra), Maj. Gen. Kalyan Singh (Vishist Seva Medal), Fl. Lt. Jagmal Singh (Saurya Chakra) Shri Sultan Singh (President Police Madel), Dr. Naryan Singh Manaklao (Padmabhusan) etc.
In Games and Sports they won Arjun awards and Dronacharya award. Col. Prem Singh won Arjun Award in Polo and Rao Raja Prof. Karan Singh was bestowed with Dronacharya award as professor in Sports and Games. In political arena too they played notable roles as M.L.A's (Member of Legislative Assembly) In Rajasthan State Assembly. Shri Tan Singh was a prominent leader of Repute in State Assembly. He, later, was elected as Member of Parliament, New Delhi. Many became Ministers in Rajasthan State. Shri Kalyan Singh Kalvi became Cabinet Minister in the Central Govt. In local self bodies, alumini in great numbers were elected as Sarpanches, Pradhans and Zilla Pramukhs from time to time. Besides, as Officers and in other ranks in the Army, Air Force, Navy, Rajasthan Armed Constabulary and Boarder Security Forces. In Civil Services too they excelled in each and every field they opted for like I.A.S. (Indian Administrative Services), I.P.S. (Indian Police Services), R.A.S., R.P.S (State Services in Rajasthan),  Engineers, Medical & Veterinary Doctors, Advocates, Professors and Business Leaders. They have successfully projected themselves as exemplary public servants and leaders. Over the years the Chopasnians have become synonymous for brave, sincere, honest, intelligent and hard working select band of citizens for whom service is not a channel of mere earning bread and butter alone but also a cause to endeavor in contributing significantly to nation building.